Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peru part UNO

I had not planned on blogging from peru but I am waiting in an airport and mike is asleep and the Internet works on mike's touch. we have been here for four hours because our flight to Cuzco was delayed. but this blessed airport puts three seats together without any armrests so we have been able to sleep in relative comfort. except it is a little cold so mike has every item of clothing we brought piled on him. pic coming.

so besides all the quality airport time, we have also hung out in San fran and at the cathedral of San fran in Lima. I like the symmetry. another symeteical thing about our visit to these cities, is that mike has attracked strange men who have sent us on wild goose chases for the best food in town. in San fran we never found the restaurant but we ended in one built in the room the Maltese falcon was filmed in. it made us giggle.

In lima two men approached us seperately in the plaza de armas and claimed to be musicians in the best restaurants. the second guy was more agressive and we found ourselves with him in an empty bar. all of this went down in Spanish so I really did not know what was going on and after a few minutes I just got up and started leaving. I guess he was trying to get mike to drink with him and mike was trying not to be rude. good thing I embrace my rudeness. otherwise the night was beautiful. we toured catacomes which is basically just looking at a bunch of piles of human bones. I can't explain this but I loved it in all it's gruesomeness. kind of reminded me of Indiana jones.

but the best was wandering the streets looking at the buildings and people and the food. I drooled over every pastry display. and for dinner we just ate street food including two churros each. if you think you know about churros but do not think you could eat two in a row then you have not been eating the right churros.

the final part of our evening was trying to get back to our hotel through unreal traffic. it was like NYC traffic in those movies where everyone is fleeing for their lives from the aliens or whatever. plus our cab driver had no idea where he was going and kept asking random people directions. and there was a car accident right in front of us and not even the cars involved stopped (I guess your bumper does not matter when the evil aliens are invading).

all together we are having a marvelous to
time. can't wait to see Cuzco.

1 comment:

Pughs said...

Sounds like your having lots of fun! I wish I could have come up for your reception, but figured you'd be busy and it was a super long drive to say hi! Hope the rest of your adventure goes well.