Monday, December 8, 2008

Try this at home



Mike recently started talking about this bread Great Harvest made called Swiss Cracked Pepper Bread so we decided to try and make it. We found a recipe that had those ingrediants and made a lovely loaf of bread that didn't even remotely resemble the Great Harvest bread. Apparently, the Great Harvest bread was round with a chewy crust and large crumb with big air bubbles.


As I attempted to find a recipe, I found that the kind of bread he wanted is called rustic artisan bread and it is (used to be) impossible for mortals (non-bakers) to make because we need a steam injection oven (>$5,000). Luckily, just before I gave up, I came across an article in the New York Times which describes a method to create this wonderful bread at home.


At first it was still a little daunting because it takes 24 hours to complete but keep in mind, about 23.5 of those hours can be spent doing anything else you want while your dough rises. I made some this weekend and could not believe I had managed to create something so pretty and fancy and yummy. The recipe included with the article has a few simple ingredients. I added pepper when I first mixed it and chunks of swiss cheese when I folded the dough. I could not be happier with the results (although next time I will add more pepper). It was a gorgeous round carmel loaf with cracks and imperfections that make it look so deliciously home made.


Here is the list of stuff you need:



  • Yeast

  • Flour

  • Water

  • Salt

  • 6-8 qt. lidded baking pot or dutch oven

Seriously, make this. It will make you feel like an Italian grandma, who doesn't want that?

4 comments:

Da Ilaoa's said...

Thanks for working out the kinks on the bread first so I can try it. I'm disappointed there is no picture...I normally need one so i know how it looks. But maybe its better not to know how it should look as long as its good :)

brit said...

OH there is a picture. I just need to upload it. I am passionate about taking pictures of food right now so I photograph nearly everything I eat. I will get a pic up soon.

Be, Br, E and A said...

I think I just might try this after I decided to not be so busy and lazy all at the same time.

brit said...

DO IT! And report back to me immediately. Oh, and also send me some.